Take your time not your Life.
Respect and without discrimination and prejudices of race, religion, origin, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or age.
Advise in advance any allergies or special food needs.
Study of painting where I live and work.
Thank you for your presence
This is my studio apartment where I live and paint.
For guests I offer:
Double room, breakfast, private bathroom and private terrace.
I have a "Garzone", which is a service man, cleans, knows the area perfectly and is available to accompany guests in case of need. Sometimes he speaks and is a 24 hour doorman for guests' access to the studio.
Rosignano can be reached from the north by the Genoa-Livorno-Rosignano motorway.
The Solvay village was built in 1912 immersed in the green vegetation typical of the Mediterranean maquis. Squares and avenues are surrounded by maritime pines. Personally I wonder why the choice of stay by tourists from all parts of the world. It is probably that of finding yourself surrounded by a vaguely sleepy and timeless atmosphere surrounded by the essence of ancient traditions and simple services exempt from the current fashion.
The area on which Rosignano Solvay currently stands was presented, at the beginning of the nineteenth century, as a strongly depressed area, predominantly swampy, isolated from the main roads of communication and afflicted by the endemic evils of the Tuscan Maremma: famines, malaria and brigandage.
The situation changed radically around the middle of the century with the imposing work of reclamation carried out by the Grand Dukes of Lorraine who made Vada the most important agricultural center of the entire upper Maremma. Rosignano Marittimo, which represented the administrative barycentre, continued to maintain the aegis on the territory until a series of factors, including the construction of the railway section Vada-Livorno ( (Phone number hidden by Airbnb) ), increased interest in the coastal area , giving rise, among other things, to the tourist activity of the town of Castiglioncello.
Ernest Solvay sensed that this area could be the fulcrum of a pole for the production of soda, as it is rich in the indispensable raw materials to the Solvay cycle (salt to Ponteginori, limestone in Rosignano Marittimo and San Carlo and sea water for refrigeration) and easily connectable to major rolling, railway and maritime communication routes.
At first the choice fell on the plain of Cecina where some Solvay officials went in order to buy the areas necessary for the realization of the project. The innumerable difficulties that arose because of the distrust of the landowners led them to fall back on the marshy countryside between the inhabited Castiglioncello-Caletta and the course of the river Fine, occupied only by the small rural cluster of Mondiglio and rare farmhouses of Lorraine origin.
The purchase of land took place rapidly: in 1913, a document sent by the Municipality of Rosignano to the Chamber of Commerce of Pisa decreed the official birth of Solvay in Italy. In the same year, the railway station designed to serve the plant dates back, to allow a more convenient supply of materials and allow the start of construction of the workshops and housing that should have hosted the technicians and workers who came from Brussels for commissioning of the soda. Three years later, the train station is enabled for passenger service.
Not even the nefarious effects of the First World War (in August 1914 the German armies invaded Belgium) managed to stop the process of expansion of the settlement: the many delays that occurred did not in any way prejudice the already planned growth of Rosignano. In March 1917, among the profound difficulties of the last months of the war, a council resolution sanctioned the Municipality's decision to name the new agglomeration Rosignano Solvay (distinct from the hilly center which, on this occasion, summarizes the sixteenth-century appellation of "Maritime", located close to the sea): this created an inseparable combination between the Company and the new urban center that it has created.
The beginning of the construction of houses for employees and workers was the first step towards a real industrial city also equipped with social works for work, leisure, culture, health, sport. Even the municipal administration, which at first had looked with concern at the removal of large areas of agriculture, ended up not to disdain any benefits that such a wide-ranging intervention could have caused the area.
The capillary planning of the urban fabric of Rosignano Solvay was not, however, a preordained operation according to the modern concept of land management: as the industry needed new spaces, land was purchased on which the Solvay administration of Rosignano was used. awaited directives from Brussels. The General Management, perhaps in the person of Ernest Solvay himself in close collaboration with the technicians responsible in Italy, proceeded to plan the individual interventions to be carried out on the new areas and sent the avant-projets of the individual buildings to Rosignano, signed by the architect Jules Brunfaut .
Homes for workers
Homes for employees
The Solvay residential development is characterized by the different conception of the housing of the employees: many types of housing, even within the same architectural code clearly marked by Nordic models, projected the internal hierarchical differences to the outside of the workshop. The housing projects, developed by Jules Brunfaut and realized directly by the Solvay workforce and some local companies, were identified with an increasing numbering that from the type 1 house of the director, through the type 7 houses with a two-family form for the employees, arrived at the Type 9 houses with four apartments on two floors and intended for the workers.
In 1919, while the expansion of the factory continued, the cité began to take shape with the first lots of houses type 7 of 1914, type 6, type 8 and type 9 of 1917, the pantry and the offices of the management.
In 1923, over the barrier formed by the Aurelia railway, the first groups of workers' houses were built, developing towards the coastal strip; each house has a large area of relevance - vegetable garden and garden - equally divided between the four families.
The orthogonal mesh that defined the future northern blocks was already defined in 1929, while the nucleus immediately next to the plant was completed with the type 1 and type 3 houses of the director and of the engineers, type 4, type 5, type 6, type 7, type 8 for employees and type 9 for workers; the dispensation, the management offices, the schools, the theater-circle, the hospital and the casino-guesthouse were already operational.
The generative criteria of the settlement are marked by a profound attention to the quality of life of the individual who must live in this space: it is significant, for example, that the residences were built north of the industrial plant to avoid gas pollution exhaust.
However, it will be necessary to wait 20-40 years for the settlement, as a result of the fascist laws that prevented the export of capital abroad, pushed to invest on the spot, could embody the ideal model of the father "educator" and promoter Ernest Solvay with the endowment, or the strengthening, of social works for the benefit of the entire fraction: the theater welcomed the best Italian tour companies; hospital assistance was guaranteed by cutting-edge specialists and equipment.
The intervention of Italo Gamberini In the second half of the thirties, Solvay, eager to affirm its image on the territory, contacted the architect Italo Gamberini of Florence with the specific intention of "modernizing" numerous public buildings and of creating new ones according to a stylistic language closer to the local reality . The frequent relations with the Italian architect are testified by numerous iconographic documents, all strictly autographs, and by a thick correspondence between Gamberini and Ing. Seni, responsible for the complementary constructions of Solvay di Rosignano.
Most of these projects, even if not realized, have remained to testify the urban planning and architectural design of an era, but the interventions realized according to the precise indications of the architect (the bathing establishment "I Canottieri" of 1939 and the Agricultural Village of 1940 of which only a small part has been built) can still be admired in their original spatial definition.
The frenetic construction activity of the forties gave the industrial town its current image: the avenues, the trees, the squared lots, the vegetable gardens, the architecture, the pine woods, are part of a general design that characterizes the entire urban agglomeration affirming the typical :
The "Solvay style"
The Solvay style, immediately perceptible, is not only due to the choice of the same building types systematically repeated in Rosignano as in all the other settlements of the group; the extreme regularity is given by the uniformity of the lots placed on a rigorous orthogonal grid (generated by the intersection of the driveway to the factory, viale Ernesto Solvay, and the border road of the plant to the north, via Piave), by the and manicured green spaces, from tree-lined avenues that prospectively enhance public buildings intended as vanishing points, from residential streets that still guarantee privacy and tranquility to the inhabitants of the houses that overlook it. Ultimately, there is the concept of a plant-city in which the careful study of the areas gradually acquired has managed to coordinate every type of intervention giving rise to an ordered village, unitary, and above all "self-sufficient". The rigorous supervision, which is at the base of the character of profound unity that characterizes the inhabited area, succeeds in avoiding the risk of creating an amorphous industrial center without any kind of social value.
Entry of the Solvay
During the interwar period, the Solvay Society, fully aware of representing the primary resource of the area, now enjoys the unconditional support of the local administration for which it is a source of prestige at the regional level and together a forge of enormous potential in an area hitherto 'backward', whose economy was based exclusively on agriculture and fishing.
In the wake of an innovative spirit that animated Europe at the beginning of the century on social issues, Ernest Solvay thus came to the conception of a city that only apparently is similar to the nineteenth century "utopias" on the relationship between man and factory and city. To understand the enormous distance that separates it from the industrial cité of Tony Garnier or the garden city of Ebenezer Howard, just think of the fortune that has had the settlement of Rosignano result of a careful economic operation, of a private affair between a large Belgian company and a handful of landowners, who had made careful calculations for the sale of their possessions and against the failure of the "abstract" European realizations.
If you want to find some precedents, you can possibly remember the experience of Robert Owen in New Lanark, or, within the same territory, the project of the Marquis Carlo Ginori to set up, at the end of the 19th century, a factory in Cecina inside of a large farm where their employees worked and lived.
At the base of the success of the settlement is certainly the fact of having been able to operate in a "virgin" environment, which has favored the Company's intention to prevent from the beginning that random promiscuity between the inhabited area and the industry which today makes it unfortunately difficult to many centers solve problems related to environmental issues.
Significant in this context appears the desire to keep clear of residential areas, preserving it to future developments in the industry, the coastal strip located downstream of the complex.
The urban importance of the intervention gradually implemented by the Belgians clearly stands out also in the current cartography, in stark contrast to the "organic" development, almost random, of all the areas arising as a result of the factory but independently of it. Starting from 1948, in coincidence with the maximum economic affirmation of the Company, which reaches a very high production standard, thanks also to a further expansion of the industry and the staff involved in the various processes, the first major change in the development policy of the society, since many of the 3,300 employees could no longer settle, with their families, in the homes built directly and given free use.
La Solvay, mindful of the good result of an experiment carried out in the period (Phone number hidden by Airbnb) , decided to encourage the initiative of individual employees, giving them a deferred payment, without interest and at totally conventional prices, large areas of manufacturing land of his property and allocating the sum of half a billion lira for the granting of sums to mortgage, almost free of interest.
The pine forest with the recreational area
The new built-up areas, with adequate financing and disposals of deferred-payment goods, by the employees or the Municipality (the Garibaldi Village at Vada and the neighborhoods downstream of the Rome-Livorno railway), were also equipped with the main public services directly from Solvay thus raising the civic administration from every relative burden.
Therefore, a close working relationship was established between the Municipality, which saw the country developing so quickly, and the Belgian company aware that without its direct intervention the Administration could not cope with the new public needs, produced in a very few years and a phenomenon of totally exceptional expansion, caused by the providential policy implemented by the Group towards employees without accommodation.
It is therefore also under the premise of operating in favor of solving problems deriving from its industrial activity, as well as of course to minimize the risks of conflicts and social tensions within it, which the Solvay Society has shared in many circumstances the civil organization of the inhabited center of Rosignano Solvay with the Municipal Administration, often directly assuming the expenses. In collaboration with the Solvay Company, which up until the sixties has been made the burden of the related exercise, all the works of primary and secondary urbanization are also carried out. This constant relationship of collaboration established, despite the diversity of interests, between the Municipality and the management of the factory gave life to Rosignano Solvay to one of the few Italian attempts at "Company-town" where it was attempted to combine in an organic way the rationality of work to the quality of life, and where a complete result has been obtained on generis based on concepts of ecology, sustainable development and low environmental impact.
Tipus de propietat
Rosignano Solvay-Castiglioncello, Toscana, Itàlia